The Greatest Speech I Never Delivered


The Challenge
I was a shy student but I wanted to be popular – especially with the girls. I believed that if I became president of the high school student council I would become popular.

It was apparent to me that the way to be president of the high school council was to deliver a popularity-winning speech to the school assembly. I noticed that the student who became president was the one who delivered the best speech.

 
My Plan
So I devised a plan. I would run for student council president and win because I would deliver the best speech. The first part of my plan was to create an incredible speech.
 

I started to write that speech. It included a strong opening. There were quotes from famous people. I would appeal to the interest of my audience without pandering to silly whims. I would be bold but humble. I would make them laugh with me. And we would end with a rousing chorus of the school song from the band. I figured that I could arrange that because I was a trombone player in the high school band.

It was a great speech. It would be the best speech that they every heard in the high school auditorium. Students and teachers would talk about it for years. Every future speaker at our school would see it as the ultimate example.
Reality

But I never delivered that speech.

I chickened out. I didn’t run for high school president. I told no one about my presidential dreams or public speaking plans. I was afraid to speak. I was afraid to try. I was afraid that I would mess up. I was afraid that they would laugh at me.

I never became high school president. No one ever knew – until now - of my hopes.

It could have been the greatest speech I ever delivered. But it never happened.

I wish I had had the courage and the wisdom to deliver that speech – even if I failed. But I can't change what happened yesterday.

The reason that I share this story with you is that you can’t go back but you can go forward. It took me 25 years to become a professional speaker. Today I have delivered over 1,000 professional presentations and I coach and train others to deliver million-dollar presentations. Audiences often describe me as an entertaining and motivational speaker.

It doesn’t matter where you were yesterday. If you want to be a better speaker tomorrow you can start improving today. Focus on where you want to be - not on your past.
Effective public speaking is neither a right nor a natural talent. It is a skill set that you can learn, practice and improve. Don’t strive to deliver the perfect speech. Work to be a successful speaker. And sometimes success simply means getting up, falling down and getting up again.
To be a more successful speaker you must learn the techniques, practice the skills and speak.
© George Torok is The Speech Coach for Executives. He helps business leaders deliver million dollar presentations. For more presentation tips visit www.SpeechCoachforExecutives.com  To arrange presentation coaching or training visit www.Torok.com or call 905-335-1997


Presentation Tips on Twitter Presentation Skills Club on Facebook Executive Speech Coach, Business presentation tips from George Torok, the Speech Coach for Executives Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: