Center yourself before you present

Center yourself before you start speaking.

Here is a simple yet helpful technique to center yourself before you start your presentation. I learned this technique from fellow professional speaker, Paul Huschilt. As well as being a professional speaker who specializes in wrapping up conferences and conventions, Paul Huschilt is also trained as an actor and an opera singer. So he knows some things about performing on stage and how to get ready for your presentation.


Here is the technique. You can do this just before you are introduced. It's a calming technique that might have zen roots.

Breathe slowly and deeply and get your mind into a calm state.

Then say these four statements silently while feeling the power in them.

1. I'm glad I'm here.

2. I'm glad that you're here.

3. I care about you.

4. I know what I know.


Go ahead and try it the next time that you speak.


George Torok

Speech Coach for Executives

Presentation Skills Training



Executive Speech Coach, Business presentation tips from George Torok, the Speech Coach for Executives.

Share/Save/Bookmark

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more about the need to be centered at the beginning. I like Paul's statements, at least the first three. (I'm not wild about "I know what I know.")

I also find it necessary to re-center myself at various points during my presentations. I usually focus on my breath to do so. Do you have any other suggestions?

George Torok said...

Chris,

Thanks for your comments.

I can understand why some folks might find the forth statment "I know what I know" discomforting the first time.

When I heard Paul say all four I realized that they are in balance. As a speaker you must care about your audience - AND - you must have confidence in the value of your information and message.

If you prepared then you will "know what you know".

George Torok said...

Chris,

There are times when I need to re-center myself during the presentation.

Reminding yourself to breath slowly and deeply is critical. When we get anxious we tend to hold our breath. Cleary the wrong thing but it is the natural thing.

In addition - I pause, look at people in the audience and force a smile. That reminds you why you are there and if you have been speaking well up to that point, their eager faces will calm you.