Power Presentation Tips 27: Paint Word Pictures

Power Presentation Tips 27

Paint word pictures

A powerful way to create visuals within the minds of your audience is with picture words. The best presenters learn to master this technique because it is so effective.

Tear down this wall
See the imagery in this line from President Ronald Reagan's (Mr Gorbachev, tear down this wall) speech at the Brandenburg Gate, West Berlin in 1987.

"From the Baltic, south, those barriers cut across Germany in a gash of barbed wire, concrete, dog runs and guard towers."


War of the Worlds
Visualize this scene from H.G, Wells' book, War of theWorlds:

"The end of the cylinder was being screwed out from within. Nearly two feet of shining screw projected. Somebody blundered against me, and I narrowly missed being pitched onto the top of the screw. I turned, and as I did so the screw must have come out, for the lid of the cylinder fell upon the gravel with a ringing concussion. I stuck my elbow into the person behind me, and turned my head towards the Thing again. For a moment that circular cavity seemed perfectly black. I had the sunset in my eyes."

What's Cooking?
Another place to find inspiration for visual language is in cookbooks. Can you see how to prepare this Almond Toffee recipe?

"Line the rectangular cookie sheet with tin foil and broken almonds. In large sauce pan melt butter, sugar, and water. Stir continuously, with a wooden spoon, until mixture reaches a caramel color, and pour gently over nuts and spread to cover. Let set, about 1 hour, and break into irregular pieces. Bite, chew slowy and savor the taste. Lick fingers when done."

Now review your presentation for opportunities to add more color and imagery. Transform your words into paint brushes to decorate the canvas of your listeners' minds.

George Torok

PS: tell me how this tip helps you.
PPS: Thanks for your comments and feedback.

Register for free presentation tips

Arrange for presentation skills training


Executive Speech Coach, Business presentation tips from George Torok, the Speech Coach for Executives.

Share/Save/Bookmark


No comments: