Is it okay to use or imply curse words when you present?
The person asking this question, suggested using slides with these words:
His purpose was to generate a laugh.
My answer to this question is “no, it’s not okay”.
The cost of the laugh is too high. For the sake of a possible few-second laugh you risk:
- Offending at least one or more of your audience
- Being permanently labelled as insensitive and obscene by your audience
- Alienating some of your former listeners
- Losing the respect of key decision makers
- Losing the sale
- Missing out on future opportunities
- Tarnishing your expertise
- Being remembered for the wrong things
- Attracting people who think and speak in those terms
- Being quoted for the wrong reasons
Just imagine that the media stepped into the room to witness your offensive message then left. What would they remember and report?
Presentation Tips on TwitterPresentation Skills Club on Facebook Executive Speech Coach, Business presentation tips from George Torok, the Speech Coach for Executives