The Greatest Speech I Never Delivered

I was a shy student but I wanted to be popular – especially with the girls.

I knew that if I became president of the high school council I would become popular.

It was apparent to me that the way to become president of the high school council was to deliver an incredible speech to the school assembly. I noticed that the one who became president delivered the best speech.

So I devised a plan. I would deliver the best speech.

The first part of my plan was to create an incredible speech.

I started to write that speech. It included a strong opening. There were quotes from famous people. I would appeal to the interest of my audience without pandering. I would be bold but humble. And we would end with a rousing chorus of the school song from the band. I figured that I could arrange that because I was a trombone player in the band.

It was a great speech. It would be the best speech that they every heard.

But I never delivered that speech.

I chickened out. I didn’t run for high school president. I told nobody about my dreams or plans. I was afraid to speak. I was afraid to try. I was afraid that I would mess up. I was afraid that they would laugh at me.

I never became high school president. No one ever knew – until now - of my hopes.

It could have been the greatest speech I ever delivered. But it never happened.

I wish I had the courage and the wisdom to deliver that speech – even if I failed. But I can't change what happened yesterday.

The reason that I share this story with you is that you can’t go back but you can go forward. It took me 25 years to become a professional speaker. Today I have delivered over 1,000 professional presentations. And I coach and train others to deliver million-dollar presentations.

It doesn’t matter where you were yesterday. If you want to be a better speaker today you can. Fcous on where you want to be - not on your past.


George Torok

Speech Coach for Executives

Motivational Speaker



Executive Speech Coach, Business presentation tips from George Torok, the Speech Coach for Executives
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: